VAT Returns and Support
- All VAT registered businesses are required to keep adequate records so that they can accurately record VAT.
- You must register for VAT if your turnover of VAT taxable supplies in the UK for the previous 12 months is more than the current registration threshold.
- Once registered, all VAT businesses are required to submit online VAT Returns and pay any VAT due electronically.
- The deadline for submitting your return is shown on your online return and is normally one calendar month and seven days after the end of your VAT period. (see table below for examples of VAT return deadlines, however, your return deadline will be based on the Accounting period (quarter) for your business.
|Accounting period ending||Deadline for VAT Return submitted online|
|31 March 2013||7 May 2013|
|30 June 2013||7 August 2013|
|30 September 2013||07 November 2013|
|31 December 2013||07 February 2014|
- The payment deadline is usually a couple of days after the return deadline (depending on the method of payment). The link here will tell you the deadline for your circumstances.
Failure to meet any of the above requirements, can result in fines or interest charges.
What we can provide
- Completion of bookkeeping and associated VAT returns.
- Many of our clients maintain their own bookkeeping records and complete their VAT returns themselves – we offer support to them as and when required.
Tax tip: If your business has less annual sales than the VAT threshold, it still may be worth it financially registering for VAT under the Flat Rate scheme – feel free to contact us if you have any queries in this regard.